Wednesday 6 January 2016

DO'B: 02/01/2016 Film Shoot Reflection

For the duration of our 8 hour shoot at locations: Tesco Riverhead, Dunton Green and Elliot's home (in order of appearance), I had taken the role as director, whilst overseeing the shoot and I made key decisions as to the aesthetic and style of the film as well as choreographing every movement made by both myself and Fleur as actors. Having written the script it was my responsibility to ensure the shot list drafted up by Elliot was in keeping with the original script and didn't stray from the concept. Explaining what I wanted in each scene to Jon, I oversaw the shooting and shot a small amount myself when I wasn't in frame. I instructed the group on what each shot should look and feel like whilst overcoming complications with various locations. Overall I was responsible for the aesthetic and the execution of the shoot.

As my role was as the director and one of two actors I had little equipment. I was in charge of coordinating and choreographing the shots to ensure fluidity. However whilst on location I had assumed the role of handyman often finding alternatives to mounting our cameras. I came up with the idea to shoot inside the trolley prior to the shoot but had to find ways to make it possible.



We faced a fair number of challenges over the course of our shoot but by far the most challenging was our lead actress at the last minute being unavailable, I managed to resolve this a few days before the shoot by contacting a friend who was luckily willing to help.
Additionally, we found that with the tripod attached, one of our cameras would not be the right height for the trolley, to resolve this I decided to tape the mount to the trolley to secure it whilst ensuring it was the right height. One issue we could not resolve was the the fact that members of the public had access to two of our locations and we often found people were coming in close proximity to our set, some even had to come through it, in situations like this we had to halt filming or reproduce shots.


The picture on the right is a behind the scenes shot of me choreographing Fleur to guarantee that the scene had the specific style and feel I wanted. On the left you can see the trolley is only filled with products with blue packaging, I had made this decision on set in order to contrast with the red packaging I will be carrying in shot, this aspect of mise-en-scene was to ensure that the audience understood from the first scene who is the protagonist and who is the antagonist.

0 comments:

Post a Comment