Wednesday 25 November 2015

EH: Production Log - Wilderness Woods

What role did you take in the group?  What did you do?

The main roles that I fulfilled in the production of ‘PLAY’ were Camera Operator, as I filmed half of the shots for the final outcome, Co-Editor, as I significantly contributed into cropping the clips needed and determining the time of fade to black transitions. Finally, I had the role of Colour Grader, and I altered the visual appearance of each shot to make the short film seem more visually appealing, while also incorporating the general conventions of horror, such as adding a blue tint to the shadowy areas.

What did I learn from the filming experience?
Many of the production methods that we undertook I had not conducted before, and thus I learnt how to perform continuity editing with a narrative in Adobe Premiere Pro CC2015, while also advanced colour grading techniques. I also now have experience in filming with a camera attached to a monopod, a camera attached to a jib,  filming with a GoPro on my head for a POV shot and filming a tracking shot.

What were we most pleased with?
I was primarily very pleased with the high-quality shots that I was able film, with a variety of different types of shot. Also in the editing, I was greatly pleased with my colour grading, and below can be seen some before and after examples which highlight the dramatic effect my colour grading had on the film.



What challenges did you overcome?
It was difficult to work in rainy conditions such as when filming with the GoPro, as at one point in the footage, (which was cut out) a rain drop appeared on the lens and blurred the clip. We also didn’t fully know the plot when we arrived at the location as we didn’t know what kind of set we might have to offer us, and therefore had to adapt. I personally also had of my camera running out of battery, and thus next time I need to have greater levels of preparation.



What didn’t work as well?
We didn’t fully explore the location into the further areas, and thus we might have missed some more desireable locations to film in. Additionally, we had 30 mins of leftover time at the end of our filming period, (in which we consolidated our filmed footage) however we could have improved our time management skills and shot more scenes and footage.


How has this experience influenced your production?
We have become more experienced with the software of Adobe Premiere Pro CC2015 used to edit, thus enabling me to next time be quicker and more confident with the program, causing less wasted time working out how to edit effectively. We also improved our skill to work together in a group to produce a short film, which thus enables us to further utilise this teamwork in our production. I also leant what shots were most effective from the filming of ‘PLAY’, and also how to effectively colour grade to ensure that the colour of the different scenes don’t look too different, unless specifically intended.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic post Elliot well done. I am very pleased that you have learned so much for this experience and I am also delighted that jon is teaching you how to use the software, great visual evidence too.

    ReplyDelete