Thursday 26 November 2015

DO'B: Production Log - Wilderness Woods

What role did you take in the group?  What did you do?
I assumed the role of scriptwriter which I hadn't done before, this was a continuous process and required multiple edits due to different factors. I was also assigned lead actor and director during the production of our short film ‘PLAY’, developing the narrative in front of and behind the camera. As well as this I assisted in elements of post production such as audio and a small amount of editing.

What did we learn from the filming experience?
During this process I took on roles I haven't done before, I have learnt how to develop ideas as a group and how to convey them.  I have gained massively from the knowledge of my group members who have helped my understanding of editing and grading software.


What challenges did you overcome?

Whilst on the shoot it began to rain which would have affected continuity, whilst it was raining we found shelter and took time to further plan our narrative until the rain ceased. This time was well used as once we had finished out further planning the weather had returned to the conditions we had filmed in and we had many ideas as to what to do next.

What didn’t work as well?

Due to a small time frame for shooting, we were forced to come away with less footage than we had hoped. Despite this we have produced a horror opening of a good length using the footage we had shot.

How has this experience influenced your production?

Overall I feel that our short film was produced to a good standard. Our planning made it easier to film and our solutions to our problems have created an unpredictable narrative. I have learnt to plan in greater detail, factoring in uncontrollable situations such as the turn of the weather and the appearance of the public on set. This project gave me the chance to explore the world of pro-filmic effects, having recorded sound to accompany the film, and having control over when the shots should be cut and consequently where they should go. I have also learnt that when we come to produce our final piece it will be important to plan for the unlikely and that it is necessary to get more footage than you could imagine needing.
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. good comments Dylan, two of your responses are the same. Stills added and the same font would improve this post.

    ReplyDelete